Saturday, October 08, 2005

Weird update from doctor

We had an interesting doctor's appointment this afternoon. I'm a little more dilated than before - a tad more than two centimeters and progressing fine. It was kinda nice today because the doc's normal heart rate monitor was broken, so we got to have another sonogram instead to check everything out. It was cool to see him again on-screen. Everything looks fine - heartbeat, organs, movement, amniotic fluid, etc. My doctor couldn't tell if he was still a boy because of how crammed he is in my giant tummy, but she's confident in her first assessment of the whole boy thing. Right now, Coop's about 6 lbs. 9 oz. and growing at full speed, still on schedule for Oct. 30. All is well!

Except for one thing: I lost five pounds in a week. Really weird. This concerned the nurse and the doctor big time, since I shouldn't be losing weight at all right now. This brings me back down to 14 pounds total gain. I mean, I hadn't eaten anything in a while before my appoiment, and it was like 4:30, so that could have been part of it. But, my appointments are always at 4:00, so go figure. She asked all of the questions: Are you eating the same? Yes, a ton. I had hamburger pizza last night and McDonald's today. Any weird activity? I worked out yesterday, but I do so often during the week.

The doctor then said that since he's growing fine and everything's normal then the weight loss was probably okay, to which Luke chimed in (and thankfully so) that work has been extremely stressful for me in the past week and a half, which it has. That struck a small chord with the doc. Stress can make you lose or gain weight, and I think it's the only explanation for my weight loss. From of all of this, the doctor wrote me a note and advised me to work from home and take it super easy from now until the baby comes. Whew! I think it will help a lot. I'm going in on Monday to switch everything over, give a run-down to all and grab some stuff, and then it's home until labor day per doctor's orders. Not sure how everyone at work will react to that, but I really can't help it. I hope this helps me maintain my weight. It really scared me when the doctor was so concerned because I'm seriously not trying to lose weight. I eat all of the time it feels like. We'll see what relaxing from here on out does to my weight. I'm just glad everything's cool with Coop.

We went to the mall right after the appointment because driving north on I-35 from the Central Texas area on Texas/OU weekend at rush hour is just ridiculous. Luke got some clothes, and I got nothing except baby clothes and nursing stuff. It was a little sad for me. I miss my normal clothes! It's colder here now, and I have like two shirts I can wear at this point. Come out baby!

We then went to Chuy's with my friend Claire and then back home. It's been a nuts week, but I'm glad for the weekend. We're going to birthing class Sat. and Sun. to see what this will all be like. God bless us all!

1 comment:

swatterson said...

Well, this is the one time I can say it stinks to loose weight...but look on the bright side, the baby is fine and you get start staying home from work a little earlier than expected!

Just a reminder: I predict the 19th.