In the past few years, I've let that love of all kinds of music go by the wayside. The way, way, WAYside. I download iTunes, I have an iPod, but I just don't have the time or money to be like I used to. It's started to make me a little sad that a part of myself is disappearing, but I've turned over a new, possibly expensive leaf.
Last night, I watched the Grammys.
What an amazing show. The performances were above par, and produced beautifully. I honestly loved the fact that a lot of the songs that were nominated were politically charged and thought provoking. It seems like it's been a long time since we've heard artists sing about what's happening in the world, and it's refreshing. The Dixie Chicks were crazy awesome in their performance, and the little trio/jump around thing with Corinne Bailey Rae, John Mayer and John Legend brought me to sobbing tears. John Legend is one of my absolute favorites, and everyone should hear "Ordinary People" and "Coming Home" as two of his best pieces. And, as always, Justin Timberlake had an awesome show of talent with "What Goes Around Comes Around." He's underrated.
Something else that's made me miss music is reading an awesome book recommended by my friend Claire called "John" by Cynthia Lennon. It's a can't-put-it-down account of Cynthia Lennon's experience with John Lennon - meeting him, marrying him, Beatlemania, the divorce, everything - and it unbelievably interesting. I recommend it for anyone who loves the Beatles, and hates Yoko.Anyway, I'm back. I'll try and keep everyone posted as to my latest music discoveries as I go. Woo-hoo! Oh, and Cooper's good too.
2 comments:
Okay I love Corinne Bailey-Rae and well you add John Legend and John Mayor and wow what a trio of talent. I also loved JT's performance and think he is underrated. I like this guy named Joshua Radin--his music was on the last kiss soundtrack--check him out. I used to go to a bunch of shows and well as you know when you have a kiddo it is hard to do--so please update us on your new musical journey--that is kinda how I am with movies right now. sorry that was a long post but I love me some good music too mrs hejl ;)
Remember Sean who used to work with me in Dallas? He's in LA now working for a PR firm out there. Anyway, one of his clients did an event where John Legend performed and he was a complete jerk, so bad that the guy who was supposed to deal with him quit and Sean was stuck dealing with his horrible tantrums and diva-like attitude. Apparently he's full of himself, treats everyone like dirt and curses everyone out. Ever since finding that out (and getting it confirmed by another friend of mine at another PR firm in LA), I absolutely despise him.
I am all about Justin though! Me-ow!
Post a Comment