Monday, September 18, 2006

11-monther

Can you believe Cooper's almost a year old? Where did the time go? I can hardly remember what he was like in those early days already, so I'm having to go back to pictures. It's all very crazy that those pictures are the same little boy.

We had a fun weekend with my mom and dad in town! Went out to eat, Cooper (and Luke and I) got some clothes and toys from Grandma and Big Walt at the new outlet mall, and of course Target, and just relaxed. Coop's been feeling a little feverish lately, and has a cough and runny nose, but I think he got better over the weekend with the grandparents being here. :)

Here's a narration of Cooper at Z'Tejas. He's really good at mimicking us:

Wow, I can put my hands on my head just like daddy!


Hey, I think I have more hair.


Everyone, stop laughing so loud at me!



Now at home:

I love the cabinets. I wish mommy and daddy would baby proof them for me, but that would be less fun. Don't worry, the cleaning stuff is up high, for those who were scared.


Grandma gets me.


Okay, advice time. We're having to switch Cooper to whole milk soon, and to a sippy cup as well. Has anyone made that transition easily and has some advice to share? Or, tricks? He just looks at me funny when I put real milk in his sippy cup. He likes water so much, and his formula too. Sometimes, he just doesn't wanna drink. Suggestions?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mix a little milk in the same bottle/cup as his formula (I know it doesn't sound appetizing...) then you can gradually decrease the amount of formula you put in. Try making one switch -- from bottle to cup or formula to milk at a time. There are so many sippy cups it may take a while to find which one he likes best. Gerber and Nuby have worked well for my two.

Anonymous said...

The mixing of formula and milk worked well for us too, it wasn't as big of a shock that way. Also, I couldn't find ANY sippy cups that mine would take, until he stole a capri sun from me and drank out of the straw! I couldn't believe it! So i bought him some sippy cups with straws and those have worked great, no problem since then! I'm still using the Enfamil Next Step formula for the most part, mixed with milk and he gets one cup of milk per day, since mine's on the short side and the formula is more nutritious. So if Cooper's not into milk, you might want to switch him to that for a while!

Cortni said...

Hi Sara! We haven't made the change to whole milk, but we did switch to sippy cups. Braden loves the Nuby with the soft top. They are basically very similar to bottles, but the shape of a sippy cup. They are at Wal-Mart for something like $1.84.

You'll have to let me know how the switch goes to milk! We'll be there in 2 months.

Cortni said...

And...Cooper is to stinkin' cute!!

swatterson said...

Love the pictures!...and the comments!

I also asked for advice when it came time for Chase to make the switch and the advice I got worked pretty well for the most part.

Make the switch to milk first. I agree with Allison....if he doesn't like it mix it with formula gradually decreasing the amount of formula. Once he's completely on milk in a bottle it's time to switch to a cup. This was a little more tricky for us. A friend suggested buying a new kind of cup...as if to say "this is what your milk goes in". It worked for her but not as much for us. I finally just quit giving him a bottle. I would offer him milk in a cup often during the day. At first he wasn't drinking much at all but the doctor said this was fine...just give him some yogurt or cheese or other stuff like that until he got the hang of it. It took several weeks of not much milk but finally he accepted it and now he drinks it just fine.

Unknown said...

We mixed formula with milk for Jackson also. It took us no time at all to make it to whole milk alone. We also used the Nuby cups from Wal-Mart at the beginning (we did have to cut extra holes in the tops because Jackson couldn't get the milk out). Now we use just plain old plastic sippy cuts. We stopped the bottle the day Jackson turned one, and he didn't seem to mind.

The Best Family said...

I just saw Cooper in ACU today! Super cute! I cannot believe he is almost a year old! Time flies!
About the milk switching, etc... sounds like you have gotten some good advice. Some of the bottles have those "sippers-inserts" (I know avent carries them) that you can pop into the bottle lid instead of the nipple. This helped my boys bc they knew something yummy should come out of that bottle, so they knew to suck on it. When I gave them a fun new bright colored sippy cup, they thought it was just a fun new toy, so they played with it rather than attempting to drink from it.
Also, if you are having trouble getting him to take the whole milk, I would warm it for mine first and they took it better. We made it colder and colder each time until they got used to having it straight from the fridge. They are all huge milk drinkers now... Good luck!