Sunday, June 11, 2006

Barfapalooza

I don't think Cooper will ever eat carrots again, nor will I.

This is a record of our experience this past week. I hope no one ever has to go through this.

Wednesday: Started out as a great day. Luke took Coop to work, and then I met them at an ACU focus group downtown at an awesome Italian restaurant. Cooper behaved so well, lunch was great. Yes, he had carrots. Cooper then fell asleep in my arms during the meeting. We got him into my car to go home, still asleep. As I'm driving, I hear a funny coughing/choking noise from the back seat. Not thinking anything of it, I reached back there to pat him on the tummy. When I brought my hand back, it was completely covered in carrots and other bits of his lunch. I figured that he'd just thrown up a little more than usual. He looked kinda funny in the little mirror in the back, but I wasn't worried. He fell back asleep.

When I pulled into the house, I got up to get Cooper out and I almost gagged. He was COMPLETELY doused in vomit. It was all over the car seat, in every nook and cranny, his clothes, bib, pacifier ... orange everywhere. As I got him out, it was then all over me and my outfit as well. At this point, I ran upstairs to take all of his clothes off (which was a mess) and put him in something else. As soon as I did that, he puked again. And again, and again. He went through two outfits, and I went through three. At this point, I was starting to get scared. He was whimpering a little bit and totally lethargic. He couldn't stand or sit on his own. All he wanted to do was lie on my shoulder. This was TOTALLY uncharacteristic of Cooper. More scared.

We made a doctor's appt. at the after hours place because our pediatrician couldn't take us at 3:30 (I'm still mad about that one) so we had to drive all over creation during traffic to get there. As soon as we got there, he threw up for the ninth and tenth time. Luke went to CVS down the street to get him some Pedialyte to see if he would keep that down. Thankfully, he didn't throw up anymore after the waiting room. Doc said he just had a stomach virus, and if he hadn't peed before 9 p.m. that evening, to go to the emergency room. Thank goodness - as soon as we got home he started to perk up and play. My mom was coming into town anyway, so she got to stay and comfort him too. He just drank Pedialyte (love that stuff) that night and went to bed. Whew. Just had to clean the car and car seat top to bottom. Things are still stuck in the and will be forever. Oh well. The worst was behind us.

Thursday: Boy was I wrong. My mom stayed and kept Cooper on Thursday while I went to work (thanks mom). They had a great day. Cooper was eating and doing just fine. He got over it super quickly. He's got the immune system of a horse. I got home from work and we decided to go to Chuy's for dinner and meet my sister there, and she could spend the night and watch the Mavs (GO MAVS) at our house. A great time had by all. We ate, went home and chilled by the TV after Coop went to bed. After the game was over and Dallas kicked some booty, we all went to bed.

Friday, 1:30 a.m.: I woke up, stomach cramping, needed to throw up. I go and camp in the bathroom. I got it. Ugh. When I got back in bed, I heard something. It was my poor mother barfing it up as well! I go downstairs with Luke and see my mom hunched over and miserable on the stiars. She got it too. So, Rachel wakes up and we all sit on the stairs. What to do now? Luke, being the great guy that he is, goes to Walgreens and gets Gatorade and gingerale per the pharmacist. I start to drink a little and only get sick one more time, but I just feel icky. My mom on the other hand, threw up every hour, on the hour, until 9:00 a.m.

Friday, 9:00 a.m.: Off to the emergency room for mom. They do some bloodwork and find nothing wrong and say that it's a stomach virus. This took four hours. She looked much better after the IV fluids and nausea meds. Whew.

Still Friday: My mom and I get home and are exhausted. Luke stayed with Cooper, who had already taken a 2.5 hour nap that morning. Gave Luke a little chance to rest. But, that was just enough time to find out ...

Luke got it too! It's taking over the world!

His started with stomach pain, then vomiting, and more pain. After I got some fluids into look, along with some meds, and Coop back a asleep (poor Coop - nothing like three sick caretakers) we all took a nap. Cooper slept for ANOTHER 2.5 hours, which was helpful. I got up, went to Walgreens to get mom's prescription and some groceries, including Jello and soup. Luke feel asleep for the night at about 9 p.m., and mom and I soon after. What a day. The weirdest thing was sleeping on the other side of the bed for the first time. Luke couldn't move.

Saturday: We all slowly woke up, pretty early, and ate something. Yes, ate something. We were getting well. Mom packed up and went back home. I feep so bad about mom coming in to visit and help, then to just get sick. Ugh! Hope she comes back! Then, we went for a short visit to the lake with the Hejls, which was nice. The shade, water and food were perfect. Then home, and early bed.

Today, we're much better. Moral to the story: It's going around, and takes no prisoners. But, we are now WELL.

Today was a great day - thank God for that. Luke did yard work and I cleaned the fridge (while breaking a whole jar of sweet pickles on the floor - that's a sticky mess) and went to the gym and grocery store. Lots done, and back to catching up on work tomorrow. Above all, I'm glad we have our health now. Being sick is scary!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sara! How HORRIBLE! I'm sure you must have been terrified when your little man was sick! And all that cleaning up, not fun! Glad you're all feeling better though! When babies are sick, it's never halfway, that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

Wow what an escapade. Good title for this entry. Glad you're all feeling better now.

Brooke said...

What a nightmare. Having a stomach virus is the worst! Everytime I get one I am convinced I am going to die. So glad you are all feeling better!

Anonymous said...

all i can think of is that barfing scene in Stand by Me!!! you poor thing~ glad you're all feeling better! ea

Julie said...

Holy Crap! Or puke....I am so sorry. That was reminiscent of my first trimester, except I didn't spread it. Glad everyone is on the mend...I am looking forward to that picture you promised!

Cortni said...

I am so sorry Sara...that sounds AWFUL. I am glad you are all feeling better now!

The Best Family said...

Hey, Luke and Sara!!! I have just gotten into this blog thing, and I found yours.... I cannot believe Cooper is so big! What a cute little guy! And I am so sorry to hear about the stomach bug thing... they are awful! With my 4 boys, we have definately had our fair share, and it is never fun! Anyways, I look forward to keeping up with you guys with your blog!
~Summer

Anonymous said...

Bless all your hearts- that sounds miserable. I'm so glad you are all back up and running!

Katie said...

Oh no. That is awful! I had the bug a couple of weeks ago. It's no fun when you're that sick! Hope y'all are all on the mend now!

victoria said...

no fun and glad you all are feeling better!

swatterson said...

Not to mention you all gave it to Alley over the weekend! :)