I need a good book to read. What is your favorite book of all time? Something that you could read over and over again and never get tired of. Or, something you've recently read that truly changed your life.
I have The Kite Runner right now, but I've read to page seven, and had it for about six months. Depressing.
Please tell me, I need a list of good reads as I will have some time soon that I can read and relax for a while, and I want to see what everyone's reading!
11 comments:
i just finished the book "Same kind of different as me". it was amazing. one of the best stories ever, and it's a true story. i HIGHLY recommend it. just get your tissues ready :-)
Hi Sara!
I've been reading your blog for a while--I'm a friend of Sara Watterson's.
I just finished "The Kite Runner" yesterday. Beautiful book, incredibly depressing. Just a warning!
I loved "Memoirs of a Geisha"...might be one of my all-time favorites. Also "Life of Pi" and "My Sister's Keeper" are page-turners. "A Mighty Heart" and "The Innocent Man" are good non-fictions.
Just a few suggestions...I've been doing a lot of business travel, and go through a new book each time. Hope all is well!
Well, I think you know what I will say though I know you don't want to hear it. The only book or should I say books that I have ever just loved and ready many times is the Harry Potter series. LOVE THEM! I've been through the ones that are out at least 4 times. But seeing as you have no imagination (and that your vision of HP has been tainted by the one movie you saw ages ago out of sequence) I can't recommend them to you. :)
I'll go with Jessica and say "Life of Pi" and I've also heard from other people that "Memoirs of a Geisha" is their fav. (I have both LOP you want to borrow.)
I love reading the Jane Austen books too. "Emma" and "Pride and Prejudice" are so good among others....oh and I have those too if you want a loaner.
Hey, I don't doubt they are good books, but you're still a nerd.
Hey girl, will keep the list short, but I am a self-proclaimed bibliophile, and it's killing me not to list every awesome book ever!
Classics-Brothers Karimazov(hilarious! and sad) Madame Bovary(she's a nut)
Romance(sad)-Nicholas Sparks anything
Romance(funny)-Ashley Stockingdale Series by Kristen Billerbeck(Lauren D has my copies, but I could get them for you)
Horror(JIC you like those)-King's Bag of Bones or Dekker's Three
Great Series-Dekker's Circle
History(as stories)-Ireland by Frank Delaney
Need anymore recommendations just let me know!
My favorite book of the last 5 years is "The Time Traveler's Wife" - I've given it as a gift to all my reader friends and I'm making Cody to read it too. They're turning it into a movie, so I'd read it before trailers start and muddy your imagination. It's just lovely - but kind of emotional, so keep tissue nearby.
Also, I really liked "The Glass Castle" - it's an autobiographical dysfunctional family story, but not in a want-to-kill-yourself way. It's actually pretty funny.
And I liked "The Kite Runner" a lot once I got into it, so maybe you should push through since you already own it? No pressure though, I abandoned the revered "Middlesex" after 25 pages, even though I paid full price. :)
In my last post (which was a loooong time ago) I recommended some good ones, but just to reiterate, Gilead is phenomenal. I can make myself teary-eyed just thinking about a few sections of it. I also second the recommendations for Memoirs of a Geisha and Life of Pi. Also, The Road by Cormac McCarthy is very good, and something that you would probably finish pretty quickly. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is also good, told from the perspective of a boy with autism or Asperger's syndrome. And I also agree about not giving up on The Kite Runner --just give it a few more chapters and I really think you'll be drawn into the story.
Okay, sorry for the double comment, but I just re-read your post, and if I were to name my most favorite books EVER, that I would want to read over and over again, the short list would include Gilead, and also The Once and Future King, Watership Down, The Lord of the Rings, and The Great Divorce. And the Harry Potter books are pretty close to making the cut--they start getting really, really good around Book 3 and then just keep getting better.
My favorite author is Nicholas Sparks. Love all of his books. I also like the Little House on the Prairie series, and the Love Comes Softly series (Janette Oke), although it has been a long time since I read them. - Dana (Sara Watterson's friend)
Hey Sara, I check your blog to keep up with what Cooper is up to. Luke and I were childhood friends. I have a 15 month old...so it is cool to see what he will be into in a few months.
I am always asking for book recommendations so I understand your query and I wanted to give you some books I enjoyed:
"Jewel" by Bret Lott
"The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls
"Water For Elephants" by Sara Greunit
"The Innocent Man" by John Grisham
I have to confess that I did like "The Kite Runner" - if you can get past it being depressing...it is a good book. I'm reading "The Glass Palace" by Amitav Ghosh now...it is good so far - I'm only half way through though.
Ok, so once you've read some of everyone's recommendations...you'll have to post what your favorite is. :)
I read the Kite Runner and loved it. I have heard that his next book "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is even better. I am currently reading "Water for Elephants" which was recommended to me by a man at the airport. So far, so good. But that is going to be put on hold tonight when the new Harry Potter is released!
Post a Comment