Thursday, November 09, 2006

Mr. Rogers

I love watching Mr. Rogers with my son in the mornings. He (like I used to be, and still am) is entranced by the calm, even-toned voice of Fred Rogers. I love all of the issues he tackles with kids. Even though they're all reruns, each addressed issue is timeless.

There's a song that Mr. Rogers sings at the end of a lot of his shows that I'm going to try and sing to Cooper more often. I can't find a video of it online, but here are the words:

"It's you I like.
It's not the things you wear.
It's not the way you do your hair,
But it's you I like.
The way you are right now
The way down deep inside you.
Not the things that hide you.
Not your toys,
They're just beside you.
But it's you I like.
Every part of you.
Your skin, your eyes, your feelings,
Whether old or new.
I hope that you remember
Even when you're feeling blue.
That it's you I like,
It's you, yourself
It's you.
It's you I like."

Just wanted to share that with everyone. Also, a question: What do you sing to your kids every day?

4 comments:

The Houston's said...

I love hearing/seeing about you guys! Cooper is precious.

Anonymous said...

There's this song I always sing to my little guy every night when we're putting on his pj's after bath time. We learned it in Kindermusik and it's become our song. I think it might be Irish originally, it goes:

Mama, Mama, told me oh
I'm the sweetest little baby in the country-oh
I looked in the mirror and found it so,
Just like Mama told me oh.

The subsequent verses are the same just with Daddy, grandparents, etc.

If he wakes up in the middle of the night screaming because of a nightmare or whatever, I just hold him in the dark and sing it to him quietly and it makes everything alright again.

Cortni said...

I love it! I haven't watched Mr. Rogers in so long...

I always tend to sing old hymns (you know...oldies but goodies!?!) He also likes "The Wheels on the Bus." He laughs at some of the noises...

swatterson said...

1) You are my sun shine
2) Ready your bible and pray everyday and you'll grow grow grow (then he puts his arms in the air and says GROW!...he learned this at bible class.