Friday, October 15, 2010

Cooper is FIVE!


Cooper,

Five years ago today our lives changed forever.

You were born on a Sunday morning after a UT game the night before, and I remember thinking a few hours after you were born, Um, I'm never going to sleep again, am I? No, My Past Self, no you won't. File that under Things No One Sits Your Down and Tells You Before You Have Kids. How could I have imagined what the first five years of your life would be like on that day? Looking at all of your little baby clothes after we got home that week, I stared at a nine-month outfit and never thought you would get that big. Ever. Now, you're not even in the baby section in Target anymore. No, no ... You're in the "boys" section. What? A BOY? I blinked.

The fact that you're five today is hitting me harder than any other age. You'll be in kindergarten next year, which I've been dreaming about and dreading at the same time. You love to go to school and be social (I mean, have you met your parents?), while soaking in as much knowledge as you can. (Okay, that's more me than Dad.) Kindergarten will be AWESOME for you in that respect. However, I shutter at the thought of anyone hurting you, taking advantage of you, or leading you down the wrong path. I become a Mama Bear with just the thought of someone doing you any kind of wrong. Even scarier, I hope we're teaching you enough about how to treat all people with respect and kindness, and that no one is better than you, but you're no better than anyone else. I'm getting carried away. You're NOT in kindergarten yet. You're five. And we have a whole year left. Whew.

Over the past year, you've become a big brother to Juliet. At first, I think it freaked you out a little. You didn't know what to do with the littlest version of her, yet you loved her fiercely. As she began to crawl and become more interactive, you loved to have her chase you around and protect her from the dog food, stairs, and wall outlets. Now, you guys play together. It's what I've been waiting for, and it's glorious. You hold her hard and lead her around the backyard, keep her away from the lawn mower and can't wait for the trampoline to be put together so you guys can tackle each other. You're learning to be gentle and sweet, which makes me so glad you have a little sister. Need more boys like you out there.

And, we moved. To another city entirely. Having our Austin house on the market for four months and dealing with the stress of moving must have driven you crazy inside. But, it never showed. You do miss your Austin buddies, but are making new friends in true Cooper form. You only have to know their name, and you are instant friends. You love the new house and are excited to make church friends. I can't wait to watch you grow in that respect.

Cooper, you are one of a kind. People smile when they think of you. You are a natural leader, protector, storyteller, pretend Rock Band player, and question-asker. You pray a lot to yourself and have a personal relationship with God at such a young age - I pray that only grows over time. You sometimes ask God for superhero powers and get frustrated that he hasn't given them to you yet.

Don't worry. He will.

I love you,
Mom

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Cooper. Love from your great-aunt Amy. Yikes that makes me feel old

Julie T said...

Happy Birthday, Cooper! We all miss you in Austin.

Chez said...

So sweet. Happy birthday Coop!