I just finished reading this book in only three nights, and man, what a story! If you haven't read this book, Christian or non-Christian, read it. I really don't read religious fiction at all. It wasn't the best book of all time, but it made me think, cry, brood with anger, laugh, and calm down a bit. I'm still human and I don't understand everything, but this book made me understand even less and believe even more.
Some people loved it. Some people hated it. You who've read it: What do you think?
10 comments:
I couldn't get into it at all. I had it on my dresser for about a month before I picked it up. Once I started reading, it didn't get any better. I found myself going weeks and months between reading, so I eventually stopped. I'm the only person I know that has reacted that way to the book.
I read it earlier this month. You summed it up perfectly saying it made you understand less and believe more. I thought the author did a good job of bringing God, Jesus, and the Spirit into personalities that we can easily relate to...but at the same time I felt it took some reverence out of the way I should view God. All in all though, a good thought-provoking read!
I read it in just a few days too - it was so interesting! It really made me think about God's love for us in ways I've never thought about before. Kinda want to read it again to get even more out of it!
I loved it. I hated the first part (who wouldn't?) but loved the rest. I have so much hope that that story reflects the character of God in ways we haven't traditionally thought...that God is okay with us getting mad and questioning Him because He can take it and it doesn't change who He is. And that chapter about him raking up the garden...loved it.
It made me very uncomfortable but I think in good ways. Is it Biblically accurate? No. But I truly don't believe God is confined by scripture and can be as diverse and creative as He wants and still be the God of the scriptures.
I could talk about that book all day...it does seem to be the froo-its of the de-vil to some people but I loved it!
I'm reading it right now too and I LOVE it! I agree...it totally changed my perspective of God. Very interesting.
http://ericswife.com/index.php/2008/08/the-shack-review-part-one/
That link is to part one of a two part review of the book by Amy Peterson. I read it, I love it as a great piece of fiction, and I am glad others enjoy it too.
I've heard from several that it is good. i'll have to give it a try.
I loved it... it gave a very "non-church-of-christish" view of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. It helped me to realize that there is a whole new level to my relationship with Him. He is so much more than just this abstract figure that is unapproachable. I finished the book with a desire for a "shack" of my own to go to so that I can "hang out" with Jesus... and ask all the questions that burn on my mind... not that Mac came away understanding all that had happened to him in his life, but he did come away knowing that he was a dearly loved & cherished child of God with a stronger relationship with his Heavenly Father. It gives me chills to think about it all!
Hey Hejls! long time no see! merry Christmas.
I liked your description of the book. I couldn't really get into it that much. Did anyone else think about Keanu Reeves visiting the Oracle from the Matrix when God was the big black lady in the kitchen?
I absolutely was moved by the book. It helped to become more intimate with God because I see him as more loving. It made me think that he cared for me deeper and more compassionately than I ever conceived before. I love how I could picture the "trinity" in a much more vivid and interactive way. Anyway, gave it to all of my family for Christmas because I loved it so much.
Post a Comment